Sunday, July 5, 2020

21A – Reading Reflection No.2

The book I have chosen to read for this assignment is How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big by Scott Adams.

1. The major theme of the book is that you need to fail to find success and that success does not come from the path we would normally expect. The author gives points from his personal as well as others’ experience and how it took them a long time to gain fame and success.

2. The book compliments many of the ideas we have discussed in this class. One example is when Dr. Pryor mentioned the story of Colonel Sanders early in the course and how he spent years and years of his life doing a lot of different things and he only developed KFC when he was 62 years old and only become well known at the age of 75. This just goes to show that success comes when we least expect it so take risks when you can.

3. If I were to make an exercise for this book, I would have the students compare the knowledge they gathered from the book and their thoughts prior to reading the book and see if they think of the subject differently. This would be a great way to see how the students’ perspective of the subject has changed after reading about these experiences.

4. I used to think that life is always about creating a long-term goal and achieving it. This book showed me how making a goal is not necessarily the best idea as life is too spontaneous for us to continue on that path for the rest of our lives. We need to create short-term ideas that we can accomplish easily on a daily basis. This would bring us greater happiness as we see results faster and can help us be more realistic in our plans.


3 comments:

  1. Hello Rahul,
    I think the book you choose is really attractive and interesting. I like how you think of the theme: "succcess does not come from what we usually think of". Sometimes we need be more creative and think in different perspectives. I also believe we can learn from the past mistake and erase them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rahul,
    Although I did not read this book I found your ideas very helpful and useful. I can't wait to find out how you use these certain points to your own business idea and how you address them. I think you did a great job with the details added to help us summarize the main facts about this book. Great job and keep up the great work! Can't wait to see what you have in store for the future of your business idea! - Mayson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rahul - thanks for the insightful post. I personally have not read this book but I found your comments to be interesting and woulf consider reading this book going forward. To me, when setting goals, either short or long term, must be thought out and meticulous.

    ReplyDelete