One of my failure moments from this semester included me
cutting my own hair. Due to COVID, I wasn’t able to go to my regular barbershop and had to cut my hair at home. Since my parents are generally busy, I
had to do it myself. The first time I had attempted this, it was quite a
mess. The cut wasn’t even and I felt like it was too short but couldn’t do
anything about it, aside from waiting for it to grow back. I then tried again
after a couple of weeks but used a longer clip size so the hair wouldn’t be cut
as short and the results were a lot better than the first time around. Soon
after, I kept cutting my hair and adjusting the sizes and areas I cut to better
suit the shape of my head and my preference. I can now say, after about 6
attempts, that I am fairly good at cutting my own and have even helped out some
of my friends cut their own hair by giving them directions virtually. I am now
debating if I should even go to the barbershop after the COVID situation as I feel
confident about cutting my own hair and it is a cost-effective life skill. The
main takeaway from this experience is that the more you try to do something,
the better you come, and the more consistent you become. The first time was the
worst and I felt like I couldn’t leave my house (due to fear of being mocked)
but gradually I became a lot better at it. This class had also taught me this
skill in terms of taking risks when it comes to ideas and to never give up. It
might seem like a failing idea initially but if I can fail and find ways to
improve, the idea could be revolutionary one day.
Saturday, July 25, 2020
26A - Celebrating Failure
Labels:
Exercise 26
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello Rahul,
ReplyDeleteI think it is a very interesting and memorable experience. Truly, I did not go outside for nearly two months because of COVID. I am also really worried. But I never cut hair by myself before. It seems easy but actually hard. I think you really learned a lot through this experience. The failure actually taught you how to cut hair and learn from mistake.
Hi Rahul,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! My hair was a mess for a few months after all the barbershops closed in my area. Many of my friends and neighbors resorted to giving themselves buzz cuts and they ended up looking like tennis balls. I think its great that you finally learned how to cut your own hair and be skilled enough to make it look good.
Hi Rahul,
ReplyDeleteI found this failure to be truly interesting and something you should look back on and learn from. I think with everything going on with COVID19, I also do not feel safe enough go to a barbershop. I think you did a great job completing this assignment and I am excited to see how you are going to push this failure and what you learned from it into your career path. Keep up the good work, Mayson.
Hi Rahul,
ReplyDeleteI think this is a really interesting failure. I did have fear in dealing with cutting my hair, but instead of cutting my hair I just left it grow really long until the restrictions started lifting. I agree that if you start cutting your hair multiple times though your technique will get a lot better and this can be said in other more important life skills as well.
Hi Rahul,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the interesting piece. Stories like yours are being shared all across the country. Because of Covid, no one could get haricuts or go to the gym because those businesses were deemed "non essential." What happens if you have a big meeting and get a haircut or go to the dry cleaners?