Thursday, June 11, 2020

13A – Reading Reflection No.1

The book I had chosen to read for this assignment was Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson.

The most surprising part of Steve Jobs was how he was actually fired from Apple, his own company, at one point as the company was approaching a potential bankruptcy. The thing I admire most about him is his willingness to “Think Different” as he would experiment with ideas that are unconventional. He had started a company called NeXT which produced computer workstations for businesses and educational sectors and also been a large investor in Pixar Animation Studio as he believed in their vision. His least admirable characteristic was how often he would be rude to his peers/colleagues. He was known to throw people under the bus and never really saw his own mistakes. Steve Jobs faced many failures as his precious company wasn’t reaching the potential he wanted. He would work extra hours and reduced his pay just so he could use that money to invest in R&D for Apple.

Steve Jobs always challenged the ideas in the world. He never felt content with it and had the desire to fix the flaws. He brought in many unconventional ideas such as iPhone, iPod, and iPad. Those products ended up becoming the largest revenue drivers for Apple, making it the largest tech company in the world.

The part of the reading that seemed confusing is how Steve Wozniak didn’t receive as much credit when compared to Steve Jobs even though they had both worked on Apple together. The media only really covered the life of Steve Jobs and not the people that were alongside him.

Two questions I would ask Steve Jobs if he were still alive would be: What do you think of the current progress and management of Apple? Where do you see the tech industry to shift to in the future? The reason for the first question is to see if Steve Jobs believes his philosophy is still continued at Apple, with its latest products. The second question would help other entrepreneurs identify and develop better products for future generations.

Steve Jobs was a firm believer of hard work and often pushed himself in-order to achieve greatness. He was also very close with his best engineers and felt that together they could all change the world. My belief is similar, I think we can all learn from Steve Jobs’ life and see how this passion for computing allowed him to become one of the most prominent tech entrepreneurs of all time.


6 comments:

  1. Hello Rahul,
    I also read Steve Jobs and you provide me with some new ideas. I agree that Steve Jobs is always creative because his goal is to make high-quality products. He had the specific goal so he always not content with current situation. Because he always tried his best to make progress, he can make a successful company in the end. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rahul,
    I did not read this book but I think it connects to a lot of my entrepreneurs ideas. I read, Miracles can happen, by Mary Kay who invented Cosmetics line during a very hard time for women in the workforce. She faced a lot of discrimination throughout her career but always kept her head up and I think Steve Jobs did this as well. I really liked reading your comments on this book and think the questions you would ask, are very important. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rahul,
    I love Steve jobs and almost decided on reading this book. I think it is very surprising as well that Jobs was fired from apple as many people see him as the representative of apple. I do think that his many failures do show that even the most successful people have problems with their own endeavors, but with work they continue and fight to achieve things many people dream of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rahul,

    Thanks for the insightful post as it pertains to many of us young students interested in becoming entrepreneurs. I did not read this book but I have studied up on Steve Jobs and how he used his skills and experiences to launch Apple, a fortune 50 company. The biggest thing that stood out to me was how Steve woke up before the competition and put in endless hours to achieve the success he has today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel - my name is Bryson Boylan and I left the comment above. The reason it is showing up unknown is because I am using my work computer which is not compatible with my school email associated with my blogger account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rahul - my name is Bryson Boylan and I left the comment above. The reason it is showing up unknown is because I am using my work computer which is not compatible with my school email associated with my blogger account.

      Delete