Bugs in our daily lives:
1. Many
laptops are starting to have fewer ports to connect devices to.
Why: To reduce
the thickness of the laptop to make it more portable.
2. Course
registration websites are very slow when I am trying to register for classes.
Why: Many
others are trying to register at the same time as well and the network might
not be suited for this amount of traffic.
3. It is
often hard to begin/start writing a large report or paper even though you know
what to talk about for the rest of the paper.
Why: It is tough
since one needs to connect all their thoughts in an organized fashion.
4. My
headphones often disconnect from my phone in the middle of using it.
Why: They
might be faulty, or they might be running out of battery.
5. While I
am working, I always get notifications from others and end up stopping my important task to respond to their messages/emails.
Why: The work
might not be as interesting, and the brain chooses a more fun activity (path of
least resistance) over it.
6. Every
time I initially connect to Skype or Zoom, either I cannot hear the other person,
or they can’t hear me.
Why: Most
users are new to the platform and they might not know all the instructions for
a seamless call.
7. Solar
energy is expensive to implement in a house, even though it is much more environmentally
friendly, therefore people just stick with the cheaper option.
Why: The manufacturing
cost of the solar panels are quite high due to all the weatherproof material
they need to include.
8. I cannot
walk into a store and buy a product for the price written because I need to
account for added tax.
Why: Sales
tax in the United States varies by state and therefore it is difficult to set a
fixed price value.
9. It is
challenging to buy computer accessories during this pandemic as many people are
working from home.
Why: Many
people want the same product, therefore the demand increases but the supply
does not.
10. There is
no universal messaging app, instead we have many different apps performing the
same task.
Why: Many
apps offer different and unique takes on the messaging system, for example
Snapchat uses pictures for messages.
11. T-shirt
sizes vary by company, even if they both say “Large” for example.
Why: The
region of the development of the product varies by company and therefore the
exact measurements and units vary.
12. Prices
of many products have skyrocketed due to the pandemic.
Why: Some
people try to take advantage of the current situation due to the high
demand, low supply scenario.
13. YouTube
suggesting videos from a long time ago, even though they are irrelevant to what
I am interested in.
Why: The user
might have clicked on one video and the YouTube algorithm must have thought
that they wanted similar content.
14. Medical
bills in the United States are very expensive, leading to people not going to
hospitals in time, which increases unwanted mortality rates.
Why: People
sometimes unknowingly prioritize money over health and that is an issue because
without health, there is no money.
15. The cost
of healthy foods/salads are much higher in restaurants even though the ingredients
are much cheaper than alternatives.
Why: Customers
generally order less healthy options and that is what the restaurant wants to
sell. For example, it is unusual to order a salad at McDonald’s.
16. The
media hypes the severity of many events which leads to unwanted panic from the
audience.
Why: The
media mostly cares about the shock factor of news. If there is a greater shock
factor, more people would watch the channel and that is how they generate
greater revenue.
17. People
finding ways to ruin other people’s lives even during tough times, such as Zoombombing.
Why: The
zoom application is vulnerable and needs to update its security features to
account for unwanted behaviors.
18. Always getting
spam calls throughout the day, even though I did not opt into it.
Why: The
number could have been retrieved from services that I provided my number to but
did not read the clause that stated the number could be shared with external
companies.
19. Lovebugs
during this season, happen to stick to the surface of the car and when they die,
they leave a stain.
Why: The manufacturers
of the paint applied on the car must have not accounted for bug stains as it is
not as common in many other states.
20. Bicycle
chains start to rust and make a rattling noise, even if the bicycle is used every
day.
Why: The rusting
occurs due to the change in weather, especially rain. The bike needs to be
stored in a dry location and the chain needs to be oiled up frequently to
ensure smoothness.
This assignment
was quite challenging as it requires us to think outside the box and come up
with problems that we generally ignore on a day-to-day basis. The list was
harder to create after the 10th bug as I started running out of
ideas, but with more time, I was able to generate all 20 items.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Rahul,
ReplyDeleteI think you did a great job with this assignment. You met all of the requirements and I enjoyed reading about the bugs you listed. I was impressed with how in depth some of your explanations were for why the bugs exist. I agree that coming up with the second half of bugs was a challenging part of this assignment. Additionally, I agree that it is unfortunate that food prices have skyrocketed in the midst of this pandemic. You did an excellent job on this assignment and I look forward to reading your future submissions!
Hello Rahul,
ReplyDeleteI really like your assginment because you can always come up with great ideas.It seems like some bugs are just from daily basis, the reasons of these bugs really attracts me.For example, the reason for the lovebug leaves a stain after they died, youtube suggesting videos, T-shirt size are always different from stores to stores are all problems that I met but I did not pay attention to.I find the assignment a little bit hard for me to come up with problems but you really inspire me. Great job!
Hey there Rahul, awesome post! I loved learning more about what usually bugs you. I find it interesting that you found this assignment a bit difficult, seeing as I saw it was easy! In a matter of 20-30 min. max I got it done! After reading your post, I definitely can agree with you on bug #15 and #16. I think #15 mostly exists because it's cheaper to produce unhealthy options than the fully healthy ones that are organic and non-gmo. The upkeep when producing the contents of a fully healthy product (pesticide alternatives, conservation, etc.) are also higher than simply adding on some preservatives. For #16 I know for a fact that media thrive monetarily on news that attract viewers and spreads, so it is quite literally their living to cause commotion and cover topics that revolve around that. Unfortunately, after studying public relations, I've come to realize that publicity and grabbing the attention of many in any which way is key.
ReplyDeleteHi Rahul! I definitely feel your pain with number 19 about the love bugs. Thankfully I live in Miami so I don’t have to deal with them at home but when I drove to Gainesville at the end of the spring semester, my car was covered in dead love bugs. It took my hours to clean all those bugs off my car. As a public relations student, I have seen number 16 firsthand. I have seen media outlets purposely hype the severity and impact of hurricanes in South Florida for more views while disregarding the repercussions of the panic they created. I also found this assignment somewhat challenging. Great list!
ReplyDeleteHey Rahul!
ReplyDeleteI love how in depth you went with your bug list and I can see myself having something of these issues as well. Currently I relate to the issue of prices going up as your #12 mentions. I think it is interesting to see how there are bugs that many people deal with on a daily basis, while there are bugs like the pandemic that are huge but rare. I think both of these bugs should be tackled as best as possible, to help those who are suffering. Good job!
Hey Rahul, thanks for the insightful post as I share many of the same things that bug you. For example, number 18 "Always getting spam calls throughout the day." This bugs the crap out of me. I work in sales job so typically I'm on the phone all day. It very much so annoys me when I have to drop an important call for a spam call.
ReplyDelete