Beginning point:
I believe that there are
many opportunities that exist for us to find solutions to. One that comes to
mind is to reduce road traffic in large cities. There have been many attempts
at this, but there haven’t been any revolutionary ideas implemented in these
cities.
My belief:
The unmet need is that
we do not have better alternatives for city transportation and traffic control.
The people that require a solution to this problem are mainly work-commuters.
People spend too long commuting from work to home and cities such as Los
Angeles and New York City have an average round-trip commute time of 85 minutes
and 81 minutes respectively. This is a lot of time that people waste each day
sitting in heavy traffic. I had realized that this was an issue that affected
many cities when I lived in Dallas last summer. Currently, people are combating
this issue, by utilizing public transportation or commuting to work before or
after the rush traffic hours. Overall, I feel as though there is an 80% chance
that an opportunity exists in this area as there aren’t many viable
alternatives as of today.
Prototypical Customer 1:
Family member: Aleena Alex
Q : What is the exact nature of the need?
It reduces pollution and traffic. I also feel like it would organize the road and improves overall safety.
Q : When did you become aware of the need?
After driving around to places like school or the mall. Also when I started waiting in traffic for a long time, and it takes longer than usual to reach my destination.
Q : How long have you had the need?
Since I started driving. As well as when I moved cities and had to switch from public transportation to cars.
Q : When did you first become aware of the need?
Moved from a place that primarily uses public transportation to a place that required the use of cars for daily life.
Q : How are you currently addressing this need?
I just use my car as usual and haven’t really thought about any alternatives.
Q : How satisfied are you with the current solution?
Not at all. Public
transit is not used much because it’s not promoted. I am quite satisfied with
the addition of road lanes.
Prototypical Customer 2:
Friend : Rohil Tuli
Q : What is the exact nature of the need?
It is currently inefficient due to longer travel times. It is an environmental issue, as more carbon emissions are exposed to the atmosphere due to gasoline. It also has safety issues such as car accidents.
Q : When did you become aware of the need?
I became aware early on since I was living in an urban area.
Q : How long have you had the need?
Last couple of years, since I started using my car for my daily travels.
Q: When did you first become aware of the need?
Close to when I started driving, but also a bit before.
Q : How are you currently addressing this need?
Making use of more sustainable forms of transportation such as biking and public transportation. I also own a hybrid car to reduce carbon emissions.
Q : How satisfied are you with the current solution?
Mixed. There is still
too much traffic on certain roads and some roads require additional lanes.
Adding lanes, however, creates a circular problem by introducing more traffic.
Prototypical Customer 3:
Friend: Guillermo Aceves
Q: What is the exact nature of the need?
Overpopulation of cars, people, and road planning issues.
Q : When did you become aware of the need?
When I travel on roads/routes I am familiar with but it takes much longer to travel that distance. Also once I began witnessing more accidents.
Q : How long have you had the need?
Since I started driving frequently.
Q : When did you first become aware of the need?
When I was young, there were only 1 lane roads in my city and it would take a while to travel around the city. I realized that adding new roads reduces travel time.
Q : How are you currently addressing this need?
I am not proactively seeking alternate solutions, but I wish there was a better option out there.
Q : How satisfied are you with the current solution?
It’s okay as of now because its the best solution we have, but it takes a while for the problem to be solved. Better alternatives would be more mass transit such as trains.
Reflect:
From the interviews, I had learned about a lot of interesting perspectives such as environmental impacts due to large traffic, the safety of travelers, and the wasted time that could be used for other productive tasks. The most surprising thing I noticed was that this was an issue all my customers believed needed a solution, but they found it challenging to decide what to do about it.
Summary:
I still believe there is
the same amount of opportunity to improve in the transportation and traffic
industry. Yes, it is more accurate, as I got a lot of great feedback on what to
focus on and how to address the issues with the most priority. I believe it is
crucial for entrepreneurs to get customer feedback as they need to make sure
the product their develop is one that the customer would actually purchase.
I like your idea that traffic transportation is a real problem. In my country, it is also a problem: people always spend more than one hour when they go back home from work, and the bus or subways were always crowded. People even can not get on a bus. There should be more alternatives to single transportation. In my own opinion, the subway is relatively effective since it is fast. The opportunity is good because many people are facing the problem in big cities.
ReplyDeleteHi Rahul,
ReplyDeleteThis is an idea I can relate to as I live in a part of Orlando that I believe should have better alternatives for transportation, but the main type of transportation in Orlando is using a car. Your idea brought to me the attention that the part I live in also does not have that much public transportation either, which may be part of the reason why there is traffic. This just comes to show how entrepreneurship has to change consisting of the population type and demographics. Great post!